Graphics Solutions

Hello! Thanks for joining the Graphics Solutions community. This is a free, service oriented site where you can review answers to questions posed by novice as well as professional designers. You can also ask me your own questions either here in ‘Comments’ or at my various web pages on About.com. See links below for Graphic Design, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.

Please visit my website at: http://www.graphicssolutions.org

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Illustrator - Hyperlinking?

Question: Hi, i've been going nuts trying to figure out how to hyperlink pictures and text in Adobe Illustrator. What i'm doing is creating an adobe illustrator file then converting it to adobe reader then emailing to people. In the document, i want my prospects to be able to click pictures and text and have that take them to the website provided. if you could please help me with this, i would greatly appreciate it. i'm about to pull my hair out. Thanks so much.

Answer: I am sorry you are experiencing problems with Illustrator, but as far as I know, Illustrator does not have any hyperlink capabilities. You may have been thrown off by seeing a palette called "Links". This does not refer to hyperlinks, but rather to linking images to the Illustrator file, so they travel with it throughout the prepress process. Make sense? Here are 3 options for you, but they will require you to learn a little about another one of the Adobe Suite programs. First of all, in Illustrator, you can select File>Save for Web. This will export the image to Adobe Image Ready temporarily so that you can optimize it for use on the web. What you want to do with the image and text will require you to create what are called "Slices" in Image Ready and then link those slices to a particular html address. Another way, is to save your Illustrator as a jpeg by selecting File>Export, then select jpeg from the drop down list in the dialog box. Now, open Adobe GoLive if you have it. You can create a new page in GoLive, and then import the image and begin creating hyperlinks over the image. I make it sound simple, it's not! But once you learn how to do it, you can then save that document as an Acrobat file right in GoLive and it should export with all of the hyperlinks you have created. By far the easiest way to do this will be in Acrobat Professional, if you have it. If you do not and wish to continue this project, I suggest investing in this program. You will be able to go to Tools>Advanced Editing>Links in the upper tool bar and create links from there, right inside the PDF. Then when you save it and others open it up in Reader, they will be able to click on that link and connect with that web address. Really, very easy!! Good Luck, Mark

1 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Did you ever get a solution? I realize this was 3 years ago now, but I'm experiencing the same thing. I can get the text to behave like I want it to (click on it in PDF form and it will go to the link I defined in the Attributes window). But when I do this for and small graphic on the page (icons I want the viewer to select/click and launch web pages), nothing happens. They will open the browser while I'm still in AI but not once it's converted to a PDF. All the info I find on this is 3-5 years old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home